Open Tower Day 2020
During Open Tower Day 2020, on March the 21st, you can also visit the Main Building of the Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam(VU).
02/24/2020 | 12:38 PM
You can walk freely through the tower or participate in a program section for which you can register in the Central Hall.
Since 1973, this 16-storey building has been towering above the surrounding residential area.
It is now crowned by the offices of Zuidas, but with its characteristic, brutalist architecture, it still forms a landmark in the area.
The VU building was designed by architect Chris Nielsen and Architectengroep 69, as part of the new campus for the VU. At the time, it was the largest building in Amsterdam, needed to accommodate the rapidly growing number of VU students.
On the Roof Terrace, which you can visit and has a fantastic view over Amsterdam (!), hosts the annual "VU On The Roof Film Festival" in September.
The building has15 floors for education, study rooms and the library; the sixteenth floor was furnished as "Kerkzaal"; and above that, in a special construction on the roof, a carillon was mounted.
The sounds of this chimes can still be heard every Monday morning and during the Open Tower Day.
Program | Tours
Every hour the VU organizes a guided tour based on science and connection for a group of max. 25 participants, with the following themes:
• 10.00 Welcome - Tour of art in the tower and through book depots with a view of the Zuidas | Carillon plays
• 11.00 Lecture by Prof. dr. Dr. Diederik Oostdijk - "The clock towers and carillons of Amsterdam: From Hemony to the Boelenlaan"
• 11.30 - 11.45 Carillon plays
• 12.00 Reading by Dr. Ab Flipse - De VU and Buitenveldert; from original building plans to contemporary Campus development
• 13.00 Lecture by Prof. dr. Dr. Diederik Oostdijk - "The clock towers and carillons of Amsterdam: From Hemony to the Boelenlaan"
• 13.15 - 13.45 Carillon plays
• 14.00 Lecture by Dr. Ab Flipse - De VU and Buitenveldert; from original building plans to contemporary Campus development
• 15.00 Tour of art in the tower and through book depots with a view of the Zuidas
• 16.00 - 16.30 Closing | Carillon plays
You can sign up for this in the Central Hall of the Main Building.
• Link: vu.nl/otd2020/en