Open Access is an international academic movement that aims for unrestricted, free online access to scientific information. The Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam supports this effort because:
1. the university recognizes the importance of free public access to research output, especially when funded with public funds
2. Open Access stimulates the knowledge economy and scientific progress. Free access of research output enables a more efficient spread.
3. the university is of the opinion that, for the author, Open Access has a positive effect on audience and impact of publications (more downloads and citations)
Publishing OA free of charge or with an APC discount
In order to stimulate OA publishing the University Library has made OA arrangements with a number of major publishers thus enabling VU and VUmc scientists to publish their articles OA free of charge (100% APC discount) or with an APC discount (e.g. 15% APC discount) in high quality journals. APC stands for article processing charge.
> Overview of the VU/VUmc OA-arrangements (‘OA deals’) with publishers
OA-deals for more than 8,000 titles
So far, more than 8,000 titles including over 4,000 with an impact factor and 1,100 'Q1 journals' are covered by these big deals. In addition, there are numerous other journals and repositories in which Open Access publishing is possible at no additional cost.
Publishing Open Access is easy:
1. Check in the VU Journal Publishing Guide if the journal of your choice allows Open Access publishing/ if there is an OA-deal
2. Submit your article
3. Indicate when submitting that you wish to publish Open Access
Further information on publisher's terms and workflow can be found beneath the overview of VU OA-deals on the VU/Vumc OA-deals page.
Ouestions about Open Access?
Please contact our Open Access team through email@example.com