Setting up and publishing a new journal involves a lot of aspects. The University Library can support you in a number of tasks:
- introducing the editors to the Open Journals System
- hosting of the journal
- outsourcing copy editing and lay out articles
- designing the journal’s website
- web marketing: how to make the publications searchable on the Internet.
We are using the publishing application Open Journal System, which - from a technical perspective - makes it easy to create new e-journals fast. It supports all of the editorial tasks with which an academic journal’s staff will be faced.
In addition, the application enables the realisation of a number of attractive services for readers, such as printable versions of articles, notifications and statistics.
Based on this relatively new service VU University Library intends to apply its specialist knowledge of digital publishing and journal hosting in order to assist the editorial staff of new and existing journals (affiliated with VU University).
VU University wants to encourage digital publishing and promote the free availability of scientific information. For more information, see theme site: open access.
e-Publishing factsheet (PDF)
Publishing an online academic journal requires specialist support. Do not hesitate to contact us if you want to get a clear picture of the possibilities and costs.
Arjan de Rooy, T +31 20 59 85176
- Disability, CBR and Inclusive Development in collaboration with the Athena Institute (Faculty of Earth and Life Sciences).
- European Journal of Life Writing for the History Department (Faculty of Arts). The editors of this international journal are supported by two University Library staff members.
- Amsterdam Law Forum is also being hosted and supported by the University Library.
- Journal Asia Matters